Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Reflections


The following paragraphs were written by Nefthalie Suglia, one of the interpreters who went with us to Haiti. When I read her words, I got a big lump in my throat. I know what an effect this trip had on me - I can only imagine how it must have effected Tali. She says it well:

I still can't believe that we have moved on with our busy lives, but I know that Haiti will remain deeply in our souls. Who could forget the pain and agony that my people have endured? I think we saw evidence of how resilient we Haitians are and how we remain standing with our heads held high and our hearts full of hope, even though we have been subjected to so much devastation. The stories we heard were so similar and yet so personal to each individual. As a listener, I found myself feeling weak, speechless or even numb when I heard my people have no place to stay, don't have families, don't know where the next meal is coming from and yet they retain their hope and faith.

I will not forget where I came from. I remember as a child climbing a mango tree (I always wanted to go to the highest branch, soooo competitive - LOL!) to eat some delicious "Madam Fransik", picking some almonds and breaking them with a soft rock, "Roch galet" to get the meat out and lounging on top of our roof listening to my grandmother's folk stories while eating some delicious "Labouyi Banann."

I cannot thank the Apostolic Christian World Relief Team enough for giving me the opportunity to see my country again. I am certain that one day my people can rise again, because I believe in their self determination and their drive to move forward. I know that they can surpass the devastation that mother nature has caused and focus on a new beginning. Yes I believe...

It was a deep pleasure to have met you all and you were so wonderful, sensitive and sincere. I cannot thank you enough for giving me the chance to be a part of the team. This is not the end but a new beginning for me.

Love,

Talie

No comments:

Post a Comment